Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day was always one of my favorite holidays growing up. My mom would often make us heart-shaped pancakes with strawberry topping and whipped cream for breakfast, and you got to give little Valentine cards to everyone in class and make cool pouches or boxes to put them in, and of course there was tons of candy! My Dad would bring home roses for all his special girls too, and who wouldn't love that? Thus, Valentine's has always been a favorite with me and Luke has done a wonderful job of making it a special day for me too. This year he woke me up bright and early to see my surprise roses. He also got me two Bath and Body cream lotions and body wash all in my favorite Japanese Cherry Blossom scent. I am so pampered!



I really have the best husband in the whole world for me. He always does simple little things for me that make me feel loved and beautiful. To show him my appreciation for him, I gave him Valentine's balloons with heart-shaped love notes inside and a bag of his favorite cherry Juju hearts. I wanted to put them inside the balloons too, but after a long fight with the first one I gave up and just gave him the bag. Have you ever tried to put candy in a balloon? It's HARD!


After doing some spring cleaning, making a trip to the D.I., boxing up some of our stuff to put in storage, and going grocery shopping, we enjoyed a delectable dinner of fettuccine alfredo with red peppers, broccoli, and chicken in the sauce. It was sooooooo good.


Wonderful as the whole day was, we didn't escape without a bit of a tragedy. We made heart-shaped pancakes with strawberry topping and whipped cream for breakfast to keep tradition, and naturally had the butter out to put on them. Well, I was going back for seconds, and I knocked the top of the butter dish off the counter and it shattered on our kitchen floor. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, if it hadn't been the very butter dish that Luke proposed to me with. I bawled for an hour, and poor Luke had to sit and hold me the whole time. Ha ha ha! It was pretty devastating. But I've decided maybe it's better that it happened now, so that later on when one of our poor kids accidentally broke it (as break it they must, sooner or later) they wouldn't have the wrath of their mom come down on their heads. Luke's going to make a new one, and it now seems inevitable that it too will end up broken at some point, but now we'll just laugh and add it to the pile, so to speak.

The remains of our butter dish.


All in all, it was a wonderful, simple Valentine's Day, and, aside from my devastation with the butter dish, I wouldn't have had it any other way!

3 comments:

  1. Blame the breaking of the butter dish on being pregnant (the emotions too!). I ALWAYS do things like that when I'm pregnant! That pasta looks really good - you two will have to make it for us sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah! The butter dish! Not the butter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the dish! You are totally right about better you than one of your kiddos though. AND CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE BOY!!!! I'M FREAKING OUT AND AM SO EXCITED! HE WILL BE ONE GOOD LOOKING LITTLE MAN. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete